A Brief History of Holy Name of Mary...
Founded in 1848 and originally named Saint Bartholomew, (in honor of the family that donated the land), this was the first Catholic parish in Algiers. In 1872 the parish was renamed Holy Name of Mary, and in 1873 its first wood-framed church was constructed several blocks from the current site.
Irreparable damage from the 1915 hurricane and other structural problems plagued the lofty spire structure and, as result, it was dismantled in 1927.
The present Gothic revival structure was then built and dedicated on November 25, 1929.The Marist Fathers assumed the administration of the parish in early June of 1865. The seventh Archbishop, James Blenk, S.M., was pastor from 1897 to 1899. The parish continued under Marist administration until June 1999, at which time it reverted back to the archdiocese.
In August 2009 St. Julian Eymard Parish was merged with Holy Name of Mary. The parish today has a diverse membership of approximately 1000 families.